Sunday, May 6, 2018

A Simple Reflection

              My first year of college is coming to an end and I couldn't be happier. This year has been filled with new and exciting opportunities. On the first day of English 102 I realized that it wasn't going to be just an ordinary class but, that it turned out to be something unique and precious. Professor Brady is an extraordinary teacher of literature who goes the extra mile. She turns learning into an experience of entertainment that would be a shame to miss out on. Throughout the year she challenged our thoughts and skills for writing by assigning written projects, published written assignments, lectures, and fishbowls (her term for Socratic seminars). Most importantly; she taught plays, short stories and poems that were written long before I was born and applied them to present day also, relating them to real life experiences.
             This semester has marked the beginning of my persona. I am able to have a deep connection with the literature that is taught in the classroom. Also, I can relate it to experiences that develop around me. This class was not an easy task and as Tom Hanks said "If it wasn't hard, everyone would be doing it. It's the hard that makes it great." This quote sums up the class to me. I would find myself stressing about the amount of work I had to do but, in the end the final product always reflected the amount of effort I put into it. I am proud of my work and know that I always have room to improve.
           The class has taught me to fall in love with writing again and made me realize that I missed it. I was able to express my thoughts and relate to literature in a way I never thought was possible. Now that it is coming to an end, I will miss the lectures and fishbowls however the knowledge and experience I have gained by taking this class will ultimately follow me throughout my entire career. Even though, this class is about literature it helped me expand my knowledge on my major, psychology. I also was able to tie what I learned in this class into other classes such as public speaking and anthropology. Professor Brady has taught me to be proud of literature and express my ideas to others. I am incredibly grateful to have a professor that clearly loves her job and passes on her passion to others in a significant way as she has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment